What is it about other people's parties that's so endlessly fascinating? We clearly like to watch others party, get crazy, loud and wild. Just look at the inexplicable popularity of shows like Jersey Shore as evidence. Because really, what else do they do besides party? Sure, they fight sometimes, which is often amusing, but more often than not these unlikely TV stars are fist-pumpin', binge drinking and urinating in public spaces.
All three of these party-related activities (yes, pumpin', drinkin' and urinatin') can be seen in this week's release Project X, which lets us watch a bunch of teenagers have the craziest night of their lives from the comfort of a plush movie theatre seat. Unlike Jersey Shore, Project X is scripted, and produced by Hangover guru Todd Phillips. (Keep your eyes peeled for the iconic blonde blowup doll that pops up in all his flicks.)
Some elements of Project X are reminiscent of classic teen movies like Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Pretty in Pink, Weird Science, and Superbad. Amidst the outrageous antics, the flick has heart. Well, some heart. The three nerdy heroes (played by unknowns Thomas Mann, Oliver Cooper and Jonathan Daniel Brown) are for the most part likeable characters who just want to get noticed. They pine for hot chicks, and think that concocting the most epic party ever will get them laid.
Of course, the party in Project X goes well beyond any party we've seen on the big screen, well, ever. And, unlike the loveable John Hughes teen flicks, Project X doesn't appear to have a moral to the story. There are some kinda-touching friendship moments, and a half-baked romantic subplot. But the movie's raison d'etre is definitely to depict the most insane party ever, one-upping every other movie party ever filmed.
It's hard not to think about other teen party movies after seeing Project X. With that in mind, we've compiled a list of other memorable teen party scenes. They may not be as "epic" as anything you'll see in Project X, but they still stand out in our memories nonetheless.
1. Hot-bot Lisa (Kelly LeBrock) conjures up some mutant bikers to crash the party in Weird Science. All hell breaks loose. Gary (Anthony Michael Hall) even topples down the stairs with a biker in hot pursuit!
2. A girl gets menstrual blood on Evan (Jonah Hill)'s trousers after grinding up against him at a party in Superbad. Ewwww.
3. A bald, tattooed, pierced Matt Damon belts out a song about sleeping with our hero's girlfriend in Eurotrip.
4. Finch (Eddie Kaye Thomas) hooks up with Stifler's mom in American Pie. Almost instantly, the term 'MILF' enters the popular lexicon.
5. Sam (Molly Ringwald) gives The Geek (Anthony Michael Hall) her panties in Sixteen Candles. The Geek, in turn, charges other geeks for a peek.