Can you believe it's been four years since Will Smith last graced the big screen? That's a long time for fans to go without seeing the freshest actor around doling out smooth one-liners in summer blockbusters.
Thankfully, he's back this week in Men in Black 3. This time, we get to see Agent J hanging out with a young Agent K (Josh Brolin), thanks to the wonders of time travel. Tommy Lee Jones is back for more, too, as the present-day K. The flick is as fun as its predecessors, and Smith and Brolin have a great rapport. And, of course, Smith is as charming and entertaining as always. He's certainly not rusty after his extended absence.
Smith is a rare breed in Hollywood. He has a certain "it" quality that hasn't faded over the years. After decades of being a megastar, he still comes off as incredibly likable, funny and as down-to-earth as a guy with a "mansion on wheels" can be. (Don't judge his mega-trailer. Maybe he just wants a swish pad to chill out with his pals in! Wouldn't you if you could?)
Maybe that's why we all still loyally flock to his movies. After all, who doesn't like seeing their lovable Fresh Prince living the big life in Hollywood? And really, he keeps giving us lots to love. With that in mind, here are the top seven reasons we still love Will:
1. He wrote one of the catchiest songs in the history of the world. Don't act like you don't know all of the words to the Fresh Prince of Bel Air theme song. "Now this is a story all about how my life got flipped, turned upside down..." Go ahead. Try to not sing the next line. That's what I thought.
2. He was brave enough to play a gay character in Six Degrees of Separation, at a time when it may have been perceived as a risky career move. In spite of reports that he insisted that a gay love scene be axed from the flick, it was still a courageous choice for Smith at the time, since he ran the risk of alienating his mainstream Fresh Prince fans. (Also, this was waaaay before Brokeback Mountain and Glee, when even gay kissing scenes still caused uproars, let alone gay love scenes.)
3. He's proven over and over again that he's got the acting chops to pull off serious roles in flicks like Ali and The Pursuit of Happyness, which both snagged him Oscar nominations.
4. Even his critically panned movies, like Wild Wild West and Hitch, are still watchable thanks to his irresistible charisma.
5. His ability to deliver one-liners is almost unmatched. Can you imagine anyone else saying, "Now that's what I call a close encounter" with the same effect? Ah, Independence Day. It's been a while since we've had a decent alien blockbuster (cough, cough, Cowboys & Aliens).
7. Parents Just Don't Understand. Nuff said.